Friday, February 26, 2010

Worst Valentine's Meal...Ever!

This year, for our annual Valentine's dinner, I decided to try a couple of new recipes.

Bad idea.

I made a glazed salmon that I found in one of my Taste Of Home magazines, and it was seriously one of the nastiest things I have ever tasted. Then, I decided to make a red devil cake (cake mix version), but I wanted to make it using a cool Weight Watchers recipe. Essentially, you mix a can of diet soda with the cake mix and VOILA...a tasty, yet low point, treat. Since I didn't have time to run to the store, the only diet drink I had on hand was Diet Mountain Dew. No problem. The batter tasted quite good so I thought this would be a hit. Nope! Apparently, Diet Mt. Dew and chocolate cake mix do not taste so good once baked. Even the kids wouldn't eat it!

We all just had to laugh. Oh well! Lessons learned!

These pictures were taken BEFORE we tasted our nasty dinner:





At least my jello jigglers and ice cubes worked!




***
Thankfully, our Valentine's Date was a success!

The Friday before Valentine's a local church offered a Parent's Night Out, so for a grand total of $10.00, Jared and I got babysitting services for 4 hours...YAY! We decided to just get some food to-go and rent a movie. Our romantic movie of choice? Zombieland...and yes, it was awesome. I also got a really pretty rose that Detroit helped pick. It was a great night!




3 comments:

angie and graham said...

hilarious, giada from the food network has a really good salmon with herb mustard sauce that is really good. I do love the jello jigglers and the heart shaped ice. my kids would love that.

angie and graham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Bowldens said...

very cool. i had to laugh at the dinner though. you make me laugh!